Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Some Relief

Ahhhh......after yesterday's little conniption fit about my abscess, during the night, sometime around 2 a.m., something seemed to give. A sense of relaxation set in as I lay there on the couch half asleep. I could move more comfortably. Although I didn't have a strong physical sensation of anything having burst or popped, somehow, the Thing didn't seem so irritated and angry any more. Was able to stretch out full this morning, and when I looked at my abdomen this morning, it seemed as though the skin and tissue over and around the abscess were less "hot" and red, and it looked like the odd swelling on the right side of my lower abdomen (where the abscess is) had subsided. It was definite progress and perked me up considerably, truth to tell.

Got ready and headed back to the doctor. I made sure I took one of my Vicodin tablets before I left, as I figured the fiddling with the incision and unpacking and repacking the incision would be ouchie. I've taken the Vicodin long enough now to know how it will affect me, and I figured that so long as I didn't lie down and try to nap right at the steering wheel, I was safe enough to drive, which was right. It didn't kick in until I was actually at the urgent care and it pretty much had worn off by the time I left. The doctor I saw gave me a "good girl" for having thought to take something before he got in there prodding and squeezing. Lots more nastiness came out when he squeezed on me today, which is a good thing. He upped my dosage of antibiotics to 2 Bactrim every 12 hrs. He said one might be sufficient to do the job, but he was of the opinion that we want to really knock these bugs down, so I should start taking 2 tablets instead of 1 every 12 hrs. I will, OF COURSE, take them until they are gone, no matter how good I start to feel. I've read enough books about how to build a better bacteria, so I know to take all of my antibiotics. Doctor also put me off work until Monday, with orders to rest, rest, rest. Since that was my intention, that's what I'm gonna do. The most strenuous thing I'll do in the next 5 days is the occasional teeny load of laundry. I can't carry much more than a teeny load of laundry comfortably right now anyhow. But I am at the point where I feel compelled to launder every pair of undies, every towel and every washcloth I own in hot bleach water. I also want to get rid of the trash, which at this point, what with all those used gauze pads, constitutes bio-hazardous waste. Ugh!

Dropped my prescription and my doctor's excuse off at work after my doctor visit. I work with mostly wonderful, caring people, from the store executive level down to the cashiers. Everyone I saw told me I was to get well, for God's sake. They made sure that I didn't feel bad about needing the time off (which I don't, for the record). I made sure, however, that they all understood that I appreciated the difficulty in trying to cover my shifts and the sacrifices and juggling people were making to do that, and that they knew if the shoe were on the other foot, I'd be the one stepping up to the plate to do the same for any of them. I do have to say, though, that it is one of those times where having developed a reputation as a pretty tough old bird that doesn't call off sick at the slightest tummy tickle pays off. People take it very seriously when you get a doctor saying you're not coming back until Monday.

Well, that's the update for now. Now I am going to just rest, rest, rest!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home