Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Merry Month of May

Perhaps it should be the COLD month of May. Although, come August and September, I'll probably look back at the slightly below average temperatures of May with longing. It is nice to sit here with the windows open this evening, though.

Not a whole lot happening in the past month, truth to tell. Nothing terribly exciting at work or at home. Of course, not a lot of going anywhere much what with the stinkin' price of gas! I have been up to visit with Dad and Dogzilla. Last weekend, I had to adjust Dogzilla's harness to fit him better. The baby carrot treat diet seems to be working wonders on the boy, and he's slimming down to a reasonable weight for an old beagle boy. He even showed some surprising vim and vigor over the weekend, running on his leash like a young dog. Of course, he was one whupped pup come Saturday evening since the day was so nice for walking him to his heart's content. Honestly, he was practically tripping over his little dog feet he was so tired, but he kept hopping out of bed to check on me in the living room during the evening. I think he was afraid I'd be sitting there eating sub sandwiches without him, and no lack of sub sandwiches or assurances from me could convince him otherwise. I finally went to bed around 10:30, just to get him to stay put. Which he did. It was rather like watching an over-tired two year old, the difference being that Dogzilla did not run himself into a wall or a coffee table in a fit of giddiness and then have the mother of all temper tantrums. He just kept wanting me to put him back to bed! Silly old dog anyhow. It's good to see him still feeling frisky at somewhere around 12 years old, though.

I've started the Weight Watchers CORE plan online, and so far it's working well. It doesn't involve nearly the amount of obsessive journaling that tracking daily points does. I don't do real well with anything that involves obsessive journaling. As clearly evidenced by my neglect of my blog! Anyhow, it's far easier to use their little online planner thing to track the weekly points I get. Near as I have figured out, you are pretty much safe if you stick with skim milk, green leafy vegetables, lean skinless protein and a little fruit. Which actually makes sense to me. It hasn't been hard to accomplish these general guidelines. I've been very careful with the whole grains/cereals category. Near as I can tell, you either count points for those things OR you may have them once a day. At any rate, it was good for 6 lbs. this week, and I don't expect to do anything much different next week. Fortunately, I am definitely NOT fascinated by 100 calorie packs of anything and most of the junky little snack things that allegedly count for one point. I'd rather use such points as I am given or that I may earn through physical activity for things like real cheese and salad dressings that don't taste like fat-free hell. My premise on those things is that a LITTLE of the real deal goes a very long way compared with buckets of the fakey stuff. I am actually trying to eliminate a lot of the processed and over-refined stuff, like white breads and pastas, so this way of eating makes sense. You do get to eat CORE foods until you are satisfied. Mind you, that doesn't mean you get to eat as much as you want until you are stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey. There's a difference between being satisfied and being overstuffed. The goal is to recognize hunger and to recognize when that hunger has been eased. It's about pushing back from the table with plenty of room for another bite or two and choosing not to take those bites.

So that's the big stuff about what's up with me. I'm taking some vacation at the end of the month. Got a nephew graduating from high school on what would have been my mom's 72nd birthday, so Dad and I are planning to go to that with my brother and his wife. This is the nephew that's done a lot of high school theater and who wants to be a youth minister when he finishes college. Afterwards, we are going to a wedding for one of my cousin's daughters on my mom's side. I'm sure a lot of Mom's kith and kin will be there, and I'm sure we'll all have a great time catching up. Somehow, Mom will be with us all in spirit!

Seriously, now. That's it. LOL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home